Hi,
as slide seems to gain more and more interest over the last weeks I'd like to
add some comments to this issue.
Our company has implemented a full featured CMS in the past few years that
works with a self implemented content repository. Beside the repository we
implemented a presentation layer (with some kind of 'inverted caching' as
Stefano calls it) that generates web pages on the fly, a workflow engine and
event handling to enable distributed updates of the presentation caches and
the clients and other things required by a CMS.
As the numbers of CMS available is growing it is hard to stay in business with
a non open source cms. So we decided to drop parts of our own server
development and started to support slide.

> bad marketing
> -------------
>
> I believe Slide has currently a major bug in its own self-marketing: no
> matter how you look at it, Slide is *NOT* a content management system.
> Probably Remy (or Yassaf/Keith/Ismael don't know who came up with this)
> didn't know what a content management system was, but one thing is for
> sure: Slide is a content repository not a content management system.
>
> A CMS includes things like content authoring, content auditing,
> workflow management, presentation logic, *and* content repositories.
> The repository is only a (critical! important! vital!) piece of the CMS
> puzzle, but it's foolish to consider a content repository enough to
> implement a serious CMS.

This is true for the current stage of development but we hope to get this
features in the future. We will port our process engine (for rendering and
workflow management) to slide and are going to donate it to the slide project
if the public likes it.
So I think it should still remain under the flag of CMS.

> I think it's vital, for the success of a project, not to fool around
> with its own marketing.
>
> I would like to invite this community to discuss the "remarketing" of
> slide and propose "retargetting" of the project.
>
> [note: this will also make it easier to market Slide as the reference
> implementation of the JSR-170 in the future. FYI: I am the ASF
> representative for JSR-170 in the expert group]
>

> solidification
> --------------
>
> users that checkout the code for the first time, have a hard time
> understanding what parts of the code are maintained and what are not. I
> would like to propose a few things here:
>
> 1) clear separation of the server part from the client part. When you
> download the slide CVS, you get server and client at the same time,
> with the same build, docs and all that. I think we should clearly
> separate those things out. Potentially, in the future, Slide could
> become a "top level" ASF project (think slide.apache.org) and we might
> further change into slide-server and slide-client as CVS modules. I
> think separation will increase the ability for others to get in and
> help.

This makes sense as server and client part are independent.

> 2) separation of the life code from the dead one. For this, the
> suggestion is the creation of a "/scratchpad" folder in the root of the
> jakarta-slide CVS module and place all dead code there. Alternatively,
> it's possible to use the existing "/proposal" folder. Candidates for
> dead code consideration are:
>
>    a) the unmaintained stores
>    b) the GUI for the webdav client

Oliver checked in the attic-directory to move some unmaintained code in.

> build process
> -------------
>
> I think users should be able to do
>
>   cvs co jakarta-slide
>   ant
>   ./slide
>
> and get it running. The required (non-optional) jars should be included
> in the download or fetched by the build script from jar repositories
> (the only problem seems to be JTA which is under the Sun license, so we
> can't put it in CVS, but the Geronimo guys already reimplemented it
> under the apache license, so we can use that).

This is a big point if more people start building slide from cvs.

Daniel