Regarding the comments about the CASBYs and Our Lady Peace...
It seems that people feel that Toronto has some sort of unfair advantage
over the rest of the music scenes in Canada...yeesh, try living here for
a while. Every-one I know involved in the music scene is pretty
embarrassed about how pathetic it is. There is no sense of community
amongst the bands/fans here, a minimal all-ages local scene, all the
"big" shows are imported - usually British and American bands. If Toronto
has an advantage it is that the national press, Much Music and record
labels have their offices here, but I don't think that filters down to
new bands very much. Again, out of town touring bands get most of the
media attention and as far as T.O. based labels - what've they done for
anybody lately? The only T.O. "alternative" bands that got any major
label support or media attention in the past year - Rusty (formerly One
Free Fall), Suckerpunch and Change of Heart - have been around for TEN
YEARS. (And, in true T.O. style, Suckerpunch broke up as soon as their
record came out & Change of Heart have gone on "hiatus" before their
record comes out...)
Anyway, on a positive note for T.O. bands...I saw the Sadies open up for
Al Tuck & Superfriendz on friday night. The Sadies are Dallas Good
(Satanatras, Makers mark) on guitar, vocals and whistling; some guy I
don't know on bass; and Andrew Scott on droms. They were really great,
kind of Ennio Morricone spaghetti western/kinda Exile on Main Streetish
blues-punk/kinda soft spooky country. Check 'em out when you get a chance.
                        Your Uppity Canadian pal,
                        Chris T.