My limited SSH knowledge tells me that there are two SSH protocols:

- 1.5
- 2.x

Either your client or their daemon is running 1.5 and causing the
problem. On your client run:

ssh -V

to find out what protocls your client supports. Do the same on your Sun
box. What you may find is that your client is OpenSSH and the server has
the proprietory version of SSH and there's a protocol incompatability.

Solution: Make them both the proprietory SSH or both OpenSSH (not fun on
a Sun box, I just did it but this URL helps:

http://www.securityportal.com/research/ssh-part2.html

You'll be most interested in the Solaris section.

There is probably another solution to this (there always is isn't
there?) but this is the best advice I can give you anyway ;)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:50:23 Gregg wrote:
> Dear Slug,
>
> Could anyone shed some light on a problem I'm having with ssh? I'm new
> at using ssh so I read a couple 'how tos' (perhaps not the right one)
> but it appears that it should be far more straightforward than what I
> am
> experiencing...
>
> I need to use ssh from my Linux machine to log into a SUN computer in
> Denmark, then start an xterm on another computer behind their firewall
> (on a 192.168.1.0 network).
>
> Not having ssh installed, I went to freshmeat.net and found ssh which
> installed without drama. I then tried to ssh to the computer...
>
> greggs@linuxbox# ssh aegir.miba.auc.dk
> warning: Executing /usr/local/bin/ssh1 for ssh1 compatibility.
> Executing ssh1 in compatibility mode failed
>
> then went back to freshmeat.net and found a GNU clone of ssh called
> lsh.
> Installed that and tried:
>
> [greggs@linuxbox src]# ./lsh aegir.miba.auc.dk
> Unsupported protocol version: SSH-1.5-1.2.26
>
> If I try other methods of logging in to aegir.miba.auc.dk (telnet,
> rlogin, etc.) I have no difficulties but can't get the $DISPLAY
> environment variable so that I can run the xterm.
>
> Anybody have any advice they could provide?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Gregg
>

> --

Cheers,