On Wed, Jul 23, 2003, Michael Kraus wrote:
> When I go to play a DVD I get a "xine engine message" error coming up
> saying "read error from: Error reading NAV packet."
>
> (More detailed error message from terminal available on request.)
>
> Any clues? Am I missing installing some package? (RH9 system with apt
> from freshrpms.net)

Googling for that error message suggests that you need libdvdcss
installed [see
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2003-Jan/2889.html for an
example of my Google results]

DVDs are encrypted using an algorithm known as CSS as a kind of a copy
protection, and the details of how to decrypt them were not made
available to the authors of DVD playing software such as xine (much to
the disgust of people who wanted to play DVDs they owned on their own
hardware which they ran Linux etc on).

The encryption was broken a few years ago, details available here:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/DVD/dvd-discuss-faq.html

The upshot is that you should probably grab some or all of:

 - libdvdcss
 - libdvdnav
 - libdvdplay
 - libdvdread

from freshrpms and install them. (I'm not sure precisely which ones
contain the DeCSS libraries.)

The DeCSS code is not normally included in standard builds of DVD
players, presumably to shift some of the legal liability off the
authors.

-Mary