mick was once rumoured to have said:
> Hi All,
>
> A friend of mine (who owns a pub and will pay me in BEER! to fix
> this)has asked me to set up a wireless LAN for him.
>
> I suggested a Linux Box for the server, because I always recommended
> Linux.
>
> He has given me an IBM Aptiva for the server hardware (perfect), a
> netgear wireless Hub and a WG311 wireless LAN card for the server.  He
> will use a Toshiba Laptop running XPoo to access all this wireless
> goodness.

Why do you need to connect the server to the network wirelessly - this really
seems like the wrong thing to me.

Netgear seems to like the Prism2 (Intersil) chipsets for their 802.11b cards.
Unfortunately I've found the orinocco driver is VERY unstable with these cards
at any real sustained datarate.  For the pure Intersil Prism2 cards I
use the linux-wlan-ng drivers which seem fairly solid, just they're weird
to configure.

According to Seatle Wireless, the WG311 is also Intersil Prism Based.

On other thing you'll want to watch is that all the Intersil Prism2 based
designs I've seen so far require PCI2.2[1] which restricts you to Intel 440BX
and later chipsets.

If what you're realling intending to do is set up the linux box as a AP (which
is what I've done - and in fact, if SLUG would like a talk on it, and home
802.11b wireless networks and security, start booking now. :) ) you'll want
to look at the hostap driver for linux which only works with intersil
prism cards.

C.
[1] I may have the version number wrong - but the chipset range is right -
    440BX (which was a mainstream PII chipset) was the first model intel
    chipset to support the relevant revision of PCI - most modern boards
    support it fine.  Pretty much every socket7 and earlier motherboard
    in existance doesn't however.