Hi Julio,

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:23:42PM +1000, Julio Cesar Ody wrote:
> But in this machine, no matter how much I want, this is what I get:
>

> # ntpq -p
>     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
>     jitter
> hostname          220.233.180.218  3 u   23   64  377    0.169  -756185
> 80237.9

Is there anything relevant in your ntp.log file? Also check
/var/log/messages  (or whatever gentoo uses for daemon/kernel messages),
particularly for for anything about 'ntp', 'clock', 'freq', or 'tick'.
I imagine you'll at least have ntpd messages about frequency errors
exceeding the standard tolerances.

It's quite possibly a hardware issue - maybe a motherboard with a bios
issue that is losing ticks, or some other hardware (I've seen it with
some hardware raid cards) screwing up the clock ticks somehow. Do you
have any interesting hardware in that box?

Cheers,
Gavin