<quote who="Voytek Eymont">

> I was looking at activate the new mail server, and, then, rsync the
> existing Maildirs to 'synchronize' old & new servers;
>
> as I'm the only user with shell access, should I just add shell access to
> user '5000' for the purpose of running rsync, then, remove it?
>
> or, what's a proper way to do this copy ?

There are plenty of proper ways to do it!

Given that you're not actually synchronising or updating anything, you could
use tar and netcat. That's way fast.

> what the proper way to add/remove shell, can I just edit /etc/passwd ?

If you mean adding a user, you should use the user management tools provided
by your distribution (such as adduser/useradd).

> do I need to give user '5000' a name, or can I just use '5000' in rsync ?

Check the -a parameter for rsync. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

  "When's the last time you heard of the police having to intervene at an
                   antiquarian book riot?" - Raph Levien