On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:53:09PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > John Ferlito wrote:
> >
> >> In my opinion SPF pretty much protects you from one thing, joe-job
> >> attacks. ie bounces where someone else has used your domain as the
> >> from address.
> >
> > Bingo. That alone is worth the (very cheap) price of admission.
>
> While I agree with the other parts of this, the price of admission is
> low *only* for leaf sites, and then only for sites that have a tightly
> controlled user base.
>
> Replacing my email infrastructure, which only services a dozen people,
> would cost me somewhere on the order of twelve hours which I cost at
> around $1,716 -- before overheads like an outage for the process -- in
> order to obtain support for SRS.[1]

why would you need to do that, place a Linux box as a gateway inbetween
your current infrastructure and the internet

> For someone larger, like many of my clients, this would actually
> increase significantly from there.[2]  Migrating a Lotus Notes or
> Exchange environment to use SRS is hard(tm).
I know of a telco (1 of the top 2), that did the above, they were
invested in exchange (and a range of virus scanning gateways before the
corporate server) all protected by a couple of linux boxes

> Regards,
>         Daniel
>
> Which isn't to say that it wouldn't be worth the cost, just that it
> isn't nearly as small as you seem to suggest.
>

> Footnotes:
> [1]  ...without SRS I would need to modify the server to forbid .forward
>      style mail forwarding, which would otherwise cause me to send mail
>      outside compliance with SPF.  This would be ... difficult, actually.
>
> [2]  In fairness, for others it would be a relatively trivial
>      modification to deploy SRS.  It all depends on their platform, and
>      how much budget they have for inserting other servers in the
>      outbound path...
>
> --

"I think it's important to bring somebody from outside the system, the judicial
system, somebody that hasn't been on the bench and, therefore, there's not a
lot of opinions for people to look at."

        - George W. Bush
10/04/2005
Washington, DC
On the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court