As opposed to regurgitating, go here to learn more about ISM bandwidth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISM_band

I suspect what you interprete as better range is actually a higher bit rate @
5.8GHz that allows an agregate gain in bandwidth (even with errors).

Simon Van Leeuwen
PnP Systems - The E-Harness of Choice
Radius Systems
Cogito Ergo Zoom