On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 09:44:06AM -0700, Bill Swingle wrote:

| OK, hypothetically here.
|
| Say I'm at the slope but my Lithium charger uses only 120V AC.
|
| So, if I wanted to be reckless (go with me here), what can be done with a
| Nicad charger and how?

Well, generally a charger's job is to put a certain amount of current
into your battery, and a NiCd/NiMH charger does that as well as a LiPo
charger.  What really differs is how they turn off -- a NiCd/NiMH
charger turns off when it sees a peak (or just after a certain amount
of time for an old one) and a LiPo charger starts slowing down at a
certain voltage, and finally stops at 4.2 volts/cell.

So, if you sit there and watch your voltage as you charge your
batteries very carefully, you can charge your LiPo pack with a NiCd
charger.  However, the charger will not turn itself off automatically,
and will happily overcharge your battery if you forget to turn it off
yourself -- which will ruin the battery at best, and could cause it to
catch fire if you're unlucky.

It's easy to get distracted and forget to watch the charger, so I'd
strongly suggest not doing this.  You can get a low end LiPo charger
for 2-3 cells for as little as $12
(http://www.nitrorcx.com/eeclipolilib.html) if your pack has a
balancing connector, and for $25
(http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHNW5) if not.  Or
you can get lower power 12v->110v inverter for around $20 if you want
to power your charger at the field.

Considering that your battery probably costs more than these chargers,
and is so easy to ruin just by getting distracted, I'd strongly
suggest just getting the right charger

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]