In theory this is correct.  In reality the theory leaves a little to be
desired  - when working with very small static margins.

Decalage is the last thing I tweak up when I'm trimming out a new fixed
stab airplane.  (Although sometimes if the decalage is way off it will need
initial tweaking before the sweet CG spot can be found.)  The final
decalage tweak produces better turning and landing pitch stability.

The hardest plane I ever tried to set up was a BOB hlg.  The tail must have
been 3 degrees off and when I finally got the decalage set the stab turned
out to be too small.  By the time I got it flying well it was pretty beat
up so I trashed it.  Very innovative construction tho.  Guess its out of
production now.

Have you ever noticed that airplanes with all flying stabs tend to be the
ones that are "classics" in terms of performance? (Sagitta, Bird of Time,
Falcon 880....)  One of the prime features of each of these is the fact
that decalage is always "right".  Move the cg, adjust the trim and the
plane still flies great.  Fixed stabs require a bit more work when you get
to aft cg's and small static margins.

Rick (Voodoo Aerodynamicist) Eckel