The biggest problem, as I see it, is the lack of a standard.  (Blame
Microsoft if you want, but do not blame IEEE, but if Microsoft is de-tooth,
you will be a long time waiting for one.)   I personally feel email is a
poor means of communicating (plain text is cold and impersonal).  HTML
offers some means of expression at least.  Now, since I have deleted the
previous string to save band width (and do my part for the environment),
nobody reading this will have any idea what I am talking (in plain text)
about. :-)  Hmm, are smiley faces allowed on lists?