If you were active in FAI you would not find the statement ridiculous.

There is a long history of last minute rule changes, some in the interest
of "safety" that were not in response to any actual injury or near injury.
Some of the "safety" changes were simply to place one group at a disadvantage.

Even now in F3B, I keep hearing of a change to 10 minutes for the duration
task but can find no mention of it in print anywere. I have the latest published
copy of the sporting code including the amendments that became active on
Jan 1, 2000.

How can a pilot, team or country play by the rules when they cannot get a
copy of the rules?

Personally I think that rule changes should not go into action until after
the next rule cycle. That is there must be one FULL rule cycle between
PUBLISHMENT of the new rule and it going into action.

REAL SAFETY problems can get an instant rule change on acceptance of
*every* nation that is a member of the FAI. This is too keep one,
(or a few) nations from putting one nation at a disadvantage by a
bogus safety rule.

Intentional or not, it is hard or impossible to find the real rules.

The AMA requires that contests be run according to the *published*
rules unless exceptions are published and advertised in advance.
Should the world body be expected to do less?

michael N6CHV AMA 77292