When viewing the plane head on you have to rely almost entirely on depth
perception, which in the vast majority is relatively poor.

Another point is visual acuity. We actually see a clearer image if we turn
the head and view slightly from the side. It is known that birds of prey
view their target in this way.

On another topic you may find interesting concerning visual and spacial
perception error:
I am told from a reliable source who worked with the club that 30 yr ago an
executive on the Royals baseball club was a PHD physicist and initiated a
study. What he discovered was that half the hits in baseball were due to
"double error." That is, the hitter was mistaken about where the ball was,
and also where his bat was, the 2 errors cancelling eachother out and
producing the hit! The hits came when the ball crossed a particular zone
(different from player to player), and they refered to this as his "Double
Error Zone."

Now the individual telling me this had already developed an ingenius method
of correcting these perception errors, making the hitter more consistant,
and it worked very well for the Royals Baeball Academy (name of their AAA
team) for 4 yr. But the coaches took offense at the fact that the inventor
came from outside of baseball, so that when some management changes came
around, he was dropped. To this day the Garver Method is virtually unknown,
other than the Orioles ball team inviting him down for one week in spring
training (or at least they used to).

Rick