AutoCad will take in scanned images.  I have forgotten exactly how to do it
in Rel12 and 13 but it got a lot easier in Rel14.  Use the INSERT pull-down
and choose RASTER IMAGE.  AC makes you go thru an attach routine but then
brings in the image at its original size.  You will have to scale to
suit.  You can then trace over it.  You may have to manipulate its
properties and make it transparent and set it to display last.  Sometimes a
regen is required to get it to show as transparent so you can see entities
behind it.

Good Luck

Rick

At 01:06 PM 12/11/00 -0800, Jim Cubbage wrote:

>I haven't seen a response to this.  But can this be done?  I mean scanning
>an image just creates a bunch of multi-colored pixels, bmp or jpg files.
>Autocad is a vector based drawing program, I would doubt if it could convert
>it.
>
>I think the closest thing you could do is use Vector based drawing program,
>like Corel Draw, and trace components you want to import into Autocad.
>There are some masking tools for this.  From there, you could probably save
>it in a format the Autocad could open.  The only thing I think this might be
>useful for is for creating a picture in which you could change the
>orientation of the aircraft a bit.  Not sure if you could use it to create
>plans for an aircraft.
>
>Jim Cubbage

Orlando