Best tools?  My hands, my eyes and that lump inbetween...

--Bill

{more later)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:38:39 -0800 "Mark E. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello fellow "Soarheads":

As I was cleaning up the workshop today, I got to thinking about all the
tools I collected in 30 years of model-building, and I thought that this
would make for an interesting RCSE thread:  "What are some of the tools
you have collected over the years, and of these, which one(s) do you
find the most useful or was a good idea at the time, but ended up
collecting balsa dust?"

My intention is not to start a product-bashing thread but to initiate an
enlightening discussion about model-building tools.
To start things off, here is a list of some of the tools that are in my
work shop.
First, let me say I consider myself to be a builder/flyer in that I
enjoy building 50.5% and flying 49.5%.  Part of the fun I derive from
modeling is using my tools and in my shop a tool might be as simple as
an exacto knife or as complex as my radios.  I keep many of my tools in
a rollaway and two tool chest or spread out on a table that is next to
my building bench (a tool in and of itself) as this helps to keep the
actual building area clean and organized, at least that's the way it
works in theory.( ^ ; }.
Among my hand tools are the usual screwdrivers, pliers, exacto knives,
balsa strippers, tube cutters, Zona saws, covering irons and heat guns
and Z benders; but my collection of sanding blocks and clamps, some of
which I have since the beginning, are among the the most cherished tools
in my collection. I have a band saw, belt sander, table saw, and jig saw
of which the band saw I find to be the most useful and the jig saw
dosen't see frequent use but is nice to have when I need it.
About three years ago I bought a box of #11 Exacto blade refills and
shortly after was given a blade sharpener as a gift.
Anybody want to buy a box of Exacto blades?
One area that I feel needs improvement is my collection of nuts, bolts
and screws so I am going to place an order with Micro-Fastener.
Well that's all for now.
Lets have fun with this topic,
Mark J.