I just completed a Chrysalis, and I don't think I've ever built a kit that
contained better balsa.  I'm pretty sure that it wasn't an accident
either--somebody made sure that all the balsa was super quality.  My
understanding is that *good* balsa is now pretty expensive.  The kit &
instructions were very complete.  Although I have only flown the Chrysalis
once, it flew extremely well and indicates lift like crazy.  To me, it was
worth every bit of $85.00.

My only concern about the Chrysalis is that it might be a bit on the
delicate side.  I tend to beat up on a hand-launch pretty bad.  I did
manage one minor dork and only did pretty minor damage that was
field-repaired in a couple of minutes.

The last built-up plane that I constructed (it's been a while) was a sig
riser 100.  As far as kits go, it's not even in the same league.

I'm glad to have the option of planes like the chrysalis.  The next step up
for me would be a super-light composite HLG -- and they tend to be WAY
expensive.  I was on the maple leaf web site, and I think their top of the
line hlg is running about $450.00.  That's definitely the high end of the
scale, but I feel like I'm approaching (emphasis on approaching) the
performance of some of the high end HLGs at a much lower price.

Having said all that, I know that what's expensive to me can be considered
quite cheap to others, and vice-versa.