Thanks, Dave and CASL for another good contest!  You guys worked your tails
off and it was appreciated.

>From a flyer's standpoint, this year seemed to be much more challenging than
year's past.  Saturday was no fun, as temperatures stayed in the 40's and
50's, and all the landings were downwind.  The guys that did well had great
launches and had planes that could cruise well.  I hate to say it, but it
was not Addiction weather.  Even Fred Sage would probably agree with me on
this one.  The light, floaty planes were often seen traveling backwards off
the top of the winch line.  I really should have ballasted, in hind sight.
The typical flight pattern was a quartering of the wind, with very little
turning going on.

Sunday was more typical of Phoenix winter weather.  Cold morning (29º)
heating up to 69º in the afternoon.  That kind of differential made for some
good thermals, something that really didn't exist on Saturday.  The hawks
were out marking good air.  The wind turned around and became westerly, so
landings improved for the average pilot.

Congratulations to Skip Miller for his excellent flying and landing.  On
Saturday he had 4 landings, 91,92,92 and 91.  In the downwind, this is
pretty impressive.  He had very nice glide path control coming in, and the
plane stuck perfectly when he pushed it down.

Back to the practice field for me, where I'm going to force myself to land
downwind.  It's something that just doesn't feel natural, yet in the major
contests it always comes up, especially in the morning.

Hand launch golf on Friday was fun, although the starter at the golf course
screwed us up.  First the contest was going to start at 1:00, then he told
Garland that it wasn't until 2:30 because of morning frost.  A good number
of us showed up around 2:00, and the starter was yelling at us to get going.
So we went out, but the group that showed up at 2:30 was told that they
couldn't play, as he had sent out regular golfers after the last of the hand
launch guys.  Bad communication by that guy.

I ended up with a 13, three better than my score last year, good enough for
4th place.  Joe had a 10, Craig an 11, and Paul a 12.  If it wasn't for the
headwind on a long par 5, Joe would have had a 9.  What's wrong with this
picture? :)  The best possible score score, 9 holes in one.  I think we have
to change things, like move the tee boxes or have the plane go opposite of
the green for 5 seconds after launch, or something.  Even the idea of flying
from the spot that you throw is interesting, although there would be carnage
and worse (there is water on this course).

Last year I was one of the very few throwing discus and I had a big
advantage over everyone.  Not so much anymore.  Still a lot of fun!

JE
--
Erickson Architects
John R. Erickson, AIA