Guys - all this whining is getting to me.  Look at the top 25 at Visalia, or
SWC - these are ALL seasoned veterans.  These were not some kids that picked
up a modern composite sailplane that can't fail to get it's time and kicked
butt!  These are guys that have been around, and know how to SOAR.  They get
their times all the time, no matter the conditions.  It was the same story
20 years ago (so I hear).  Damn that Skip Miller with that unbeatable Aquila
with the secret mods...   Hmmm Still finishing in the top tier - I wonder
why that is - HE GETS HIS TIME - EVERYTIME!  Joe and Daryl are at the top
all the time - why - BECAUSE THEY GET THEIR TIMES - ALL THE TIME!  It's all
about soaring (with a few exceptions like add-em-up where you get a buffer
for mistakes).

When these guys launch - everyone says "watch where they go..." because they
know they will get their times.  Just once I'd like to hear a pilot say to
his timer "keep your eye on Jim and let me know where he goes..." :)

I practice frequently with Skip and there is not a lot of discussion of
strategy - it's a real simple game - Launch, fly exactly the task duration
and land on the spot!  Every time - every launch.

And a no skeg rule would be foolish.  I sat next to the landing zones at
Visalia and saw a bunch of dangerous overskids all weekend.  I can't image
how bad it would have been without skegs!  I believe that skegs provide way
more safety than danger.   As for energy management, I agree that is the
goal, but the reality is that with the landing tapes marked at 3 inch
intervals, folks will dork the airplanes to get the points, so the guys that
can afford to break their planes will be at the advantage.

I aspire to be in the top - I probably won't ever get there, but I am having
a bunch of fun trying to be as consistent as those top guys.  Because as
Dave Thornburg said in his book - "The object of the game is to fly until
you are ready to come down..."  and I want to be ready at the end of the
task.

Jim Monaco
Rocky Mountain Soaring Association
Denver, CO