Oh. Because the LED on the first solenoid is passing current. I get it.

Thanks.

-Ben

Mark Holm wrote:

Current still flows through the LED across the open solenoid. It isn't nearly enough to turn the motor, but it is enough (if the dropping resistorsdon't have too much resistance) to light both LEDs. If the second solenoid is welded shut, then the first LED will be brighter and the second LED will not light.

It would work the same way with light bulbs. LED's have some vulnerabilities that make the required circuits somewhat more complex.

Mark Holm

Ben wrote:

This is way over my head. My solenoids are wired in series. Is the second solenoid is welded (but not the first) and a LED is wired across the terminals, no current will pass as the first solenoid is still functioning properly. -Ben