Hi Guys,

I now have an electric glider coming so it is time to buy a charger to be able to charge the flight packs. I am looking for recommendations on what will be the best charger I can get under $200.00. While on the subject of flight packs, who makes the best packs and are the zapped packs the way to go? You guys were great when I was looking for help getting a plane and my guess is you be just as helpful with these questions. TIA for your assistance.

See Ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita, KS

Pat,

For $200.00. there are a bunch of chargers on the market under that price. First you have to look at what your requirement are, there are chargers with a upper voltage limits, like 16 cells or less. Buy one that will give you room to grow. Don't buy one just to fit your current(punt!) need. I have two older Graupner chargers(designed by Schulze) that was pretty dummy proof and easy to use, will go up to 30 cells @ 6.5amp. Just plug the battery to it and it iwll charge. Astro has the 110 Deluxe and the 112 Deluxe. Dymond RC has the Turbo charger. And will you go the LiPo cells? Some charger have programs for NiCad, Nimh, LiPo, Lead acid ....... and have different peak detection programs. And some will not go to low rates like 50 ma. Some can only charges 4 cells ro more, i.e. will not charge single cell @ 1.2V. Get one with a good display that will tell you what is going on, like timer, charge current, voltage and how much it put s ionto the battery at the end of the charge.

See what your requirements are and go from there.

As for cells, I would stick with Sanyo for now. Zapped cells are really for high current (50 amp or more). You won't see much effect at low current. Most of the companies are pretty good, www.flydma.com are one of the best that will custom configurate the packs to your needs, not just "regular" shaped packs.

Brian
--
Brian Chan,
An Electric Airplane Junkie @ San Mateo.Ca.USA