No, the lathe just makes the job easier if you want to make ballast
in significant quantity. Here is a simpler way to make slugs :

1)      Getting a metal tube of outer diameter that fits the ballast
tube.
2)      Epoxy a metal plate to one end to seal it off. Make sure
that it¡¦s a tight seal.
3)      Submerge the tube into water with the open end pointing
upward and above the water.
4)      Pour lead into the tube.
5)      After it has cooled off, saw the lead-filled tube into
segments of appropriate length.

There are many alternatives. If you don¡¦t like sawing and filing
metal, a neater way is to first cut the metal tube into segments with
a tube cutter, glue all the segments onto a big metal plate and fill
them up with lead one by one. Use as little epoxy as possible so that
you can break the slugs off the metal plate easily.

Hope it helps,

Y C  Lui

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Joe Parsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 09:40 AM 4/13/2004, you wrote:
> >Hi Joe,
> >
> >Pls see if this is useful:
> >http://yclui.rchomepage.com/making_ballast/making_ballast.htm
>
> Those are beautiful!
>
> Now all I need to do is buy a lathe, learn how to use it...
>
> Joe Parsons
>

> >I have also made these ballast rods for my Elita which has got only
> >one ballast tube :
> >http://yclui.rchomepage.com/Misc/elita_ballast.jpg. These rods are
> >metal tubes with lead slugs glued inside. The slugs are positioned
> >keep the CG of the model unchanged after adding ballast.
> >
> >Y C Lui
> >

> >--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Joe Parsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I have an Eraser 2000 (single ballast tube).
> > >
> > > I'd like to add ballast. Where can I find information about
doing
> >this?
> > >
> > > Joe Parsons
>
> RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.
Send "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please note that subscribe and unsubscribe messages must be sent in
text only format with MIME turned off.