[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
As you probably know Volz Micro Maxx were created specifically for the rigors of high performance competiiton sailplanes... the mount system, so no need to glue servos in

Gordy once accused me of being a craftsman for this :) but here goes anyways!

Andrew's Guide To Making Wing-Maxx mounts:

 1) Get some plywood of at least 5/32" thick.  A bit more will allow
    for epoxy to squeeze out, but won't be flush against the skin.
    Your choice. [My plywood is metric, so it is a touch undersized.]

 2) Use a 2 1/8" hole saw (for doors) and create a number of plywood
    discs.  High speed, slow feed, and use a piece of scrap wood to
    back it up to avoid splintering.  The discs should be about 48-50 mm
    in diameter.

 3) Eyeball the diameter of the disc, and mark a center line on the
    disc with a ruler and pencil.  Make sure it is perpendicular to the
    grain!

 4) Use a ruler on the center line, and measure 15 mm either side of
    center along the center line, and put a small tick mark.

 5) Using a square or triangle, from each tick mark in #4, measure up
    from the center line 10 mm, and draw a line from this point to the
    edge of the disc, perpendicular to the center line and parallel to
    the grain.

  6) Draw a line to connect the ends of the two lines drawn in #5,
     parallel to the center line.

  7) Cut out the U channel for the servo.

     Since I don't have much in the way of tools, or space for tools, I
     use a coping saw to get rid of most of the material.  I then use a
     Dremel with a small diameter coarse sanding drum mounted in a
     drillpress attachment, with half the drum below the surface of the
     base.  This is my makeshift shaper :)  I drill a 1/16" hole at each
     corner of the U, then use a 1/16" diamond coated cutter bit in the
     "shaper" to fine-tune the fit.  Mine come out nearly CNC perfect.

  8) Position a Wing-Maxx servo on the mount, and if the lugs are on the
     centerline, you did good!

  9) Drill pilot holes for the servo screws.  You may need to shorten a
     a pair of screws to mount the servo.

     I use #6 screws that start off 3/8" long.  I cut them down, and
     slightly bevel the end for easy insertion.  These screws completely
     fill the lug area, so there is no slop.

 10) I recommend threading a pointed tip, full-size screw into the
     plywood first, to cut some threads.  Then remove the screw, hit the
     threaded plywood hole with a drop of CA, and you have a fairly
     durable mount.

Even with my poor tools, I can make 4 mounts in about an hour.

One of these days I'll take pictures of the process and put up a web
page...

--
Andrew E. Mileski