> >Dude, to really soar needs no high tech stuff. A poly, gas bag floater is
>
> But as an artist and designer, I love good design, and high tech laminates
> and smooth flowing gel coat surfaces ;-)
> There is a reason for high that these planes are offered with "high
> tech stuff". And I'm one that appreciates technological advances thanks to
> people like Burt Rutan.

Hey now,
        I find myself wandering back and forth on this issue.
There are days when my old OlyII (8' gas bag) is the way to go; finding a
light thermal and winding that beautiful stained glass window of a built
up structure and floating with the buzzards.

Other days flying my high test FlashII (hollow molded 60" six servo
sloper) or my U-2 (lead sled pss) is the way the truth and the life.

Still other days my two meter Ruby is the most fun.

Both ends of the spectrum, and all that middle ground too, are wonderful
places to be depending on the day, the conditions, and your mood.

Which model preforms best? You can't *really* say. For example at the Half
moon bay Electric fly in last weekend the model that won the LMR
competition was a Banshee, a 3-d airbatic arf! It won over polyfloater gas
bags *and* high tec moldies. Go figure.
                                RobII

                      Erica Frank  &  Rob CarterII
                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                "Everybody understands Mickey mouse.
                Few understand Herman Hesse.
                Hardly anyone understands Albert Einstein.
                And nobody understands Emperor Norten"
                                        -Malaclypse the younger-