FlyByMike on 12-8-04 11:18 AM wrote:

> FWIW - Hairspray is Shellac :)
> -Mike

What do you know, I thought hairspray was a lacquer, I assumed the
nitrocellulose kind. There are other kinds of lacquer such as that referred
to in my dictionary definition as made from the sap of some un-named eastern
Asian tree -- new to me.  A cursory bit of looking showed up references that
hairsprays are lacquer or shellac.

So, which of those references are out dated and which correct, probably
both.  Spray some on a hard slick surface, let dry, and try to dissolve with
alcohol.  Shellac ALWAYS dissolves in alcohol.  But shellac has a very short
shelf life once mixed, about 6 months, if memory serves.  (This test is the
standard for mix your own shellac too.)  Any hairspray would have to have
additives to extend its shelf life.  I believe Zinsser does this with its
canned shellac products to extend its shelf life to a claimed 3 years.

On the other hand, how would a person wash out nitrocellulose lacquer with
shampoo or put up with the vapors of lacquer thinner for that matter?  If
hairspray is shellac I would guess it has some modification to allow it to
wash out easily, not what we want on a wood finish.  Also consider Jeff
Steifel's post to this thread:

> BTW someone did a scientific study of shellac as a water
> (liquid) barrier and it was only marginally inferior to polyurethane. So
> it can be considered a liquid barrier

I don't think straight shellac hairspray would wash out well unless
modified, but that is just my guess.  The proof is in using the stuff and
some you have obviously had success with hairspray as a balsa finish.

--
Jim -- Oklahoma
AMA, TULSOAR