Bill Johns wrote:
At 01:50 PM 12/17/2004, Howard Mark wrote:

If you take an AC inverter with you - you can use a soldering iron or gun at the field.
Much better than other methods.

Excellent idea. You can get some inexpensive AC inverters at Costco. I've got a butane model and it's OK, but this sounds even better.

Just a note that inverters are typically rated for max 5 minute power. You have to read the fine print to see the continuous power. Oddly enough the instantaneous surge power is easier to find, though much less usefull.

My 700 Watt inverter is rated for 500 Watts continuous.  IIRC, the draw
on the battery is about 40 Amps at that rate.  Plenty for my soldering
iron, dremel, laptop, etc.  I think it is an OEM Xantrex.  A good
Canadian company.  Lots of Xantrex on eBay too.

--
Andrew E. Mileski