Barry,

In my opinion, the best for what you're looking for is
the Legionair. It's thin wing allows it to penetrate
better than most from that era. It is difficult to
find, and to build correctly. It's even more difficult
to set up correctly and takes a lot of patience.
However, when you get the CG and trim where they need
to be, you will be amazed at the legs this model has,
and the thermalling capabilities. I know Ray is
working to get the Legionairs done, and I wouldn't
speak for him in any way. If you can find a Legionair
140 and build the spar like a Bubble Dancer or Dark
Star, you will be rewarded with an extraorinary model.
I have two, a 140 and a 100, and will build another
soon.

Best of luck with your search.

Jack Womack