In my younger years I worked at a famous
design department and I assure you that
copying goes on all the time.

Just as us amateurs borrow details we liked from
models we've built before, professional designers
do the same.

If you're an optics designer you look through lapsed
patents to see if there is anything there you could use,
if you're designing the rear view mirror of a truck you
check what the competition are up to, and steal those
ideas you like, in a slightly modified form, and so on.

When the Russians stole the general arrangement plans
of the Concorde, they realized that their manufacturing
skills in all departments were not quite up to the Brits
and Frogs level, and besides they were behind time-wise
and were ordered to fly first, so they simply used a simplified
design, with a few work-arounds - the fuel trimming system
of the Concorde was replaced by a highly advanced, retractable,
canard with double-slotted flaps, et cetera.

And how many models isn't there out there copying the Zagi,
or the Lazy Bee?

And for scale models there can be very little you can do if
someone makes a mold from your model, that in turn is
a scaled down copy of the real thing?! As long as the
"innards" are different of the resulting model I doubt that
anyone can do anything about it!

And copying doesn't need to be done as crudely as making a
plug out of a commercial kit; you could simply do a 3-D scan
of  the fuselage and wings and then make your own copy a
little bigger, or smaller, just as you like, with little extra work
involved! If your scanner is big enough you can scan the full-size
aircraft, of course!

What one shouldn't do is to copy the mechanical solutions inside
the kit, unless they are old and proven.

Just as with chip production reverse engineering is perfectly
legal, as long as the end result has taken another route to get there!

In software this is a problem, as a routine written by someone
can easily be stolen as it is, and reused and then compiled into
something the original author wouldn't recognise.

The type of GUI (Graphic User Interface, like Windows) we all
are used to today were originally created by Xerox research
teams, but were quickly "stolen" by Apple and Microsoft, to
mention a few, while the three-button mouse was originally
treated as a hot potato (being a mechanical device) and wasn't
"stolen" till later :-)!

Still think Lockheed are nuts, period!

Tord