The necessity of facing the leading edges of your
control surfaces depends completely on the model's
required mission. If you require more torsional
stiffness out of the control surface than you already
have... then face them. For example, my TD bagged wing
POS models are not faced - low speed, not going to
have flutter problems, and high speed controllability
is not really an issue.

Bagged wing F3B or slope racers - I'd face them. This
is fairly easy to do. The way I've done it in the
past, is to half round out the inside of the control
surface with a round tool and some high grit
sandpaper, making certain to expose the insides of the
skins just barely. I'll use 60-100 for this wrapped
around an 1/8" piece of ply, with the end rounded.
Goes very quickly. Fabricate some form of holder to
set your TE's into, making certain that you put no
load on them that may twist the control surface. Cut
some 1.4 ounce f/g cloth strips about 3/4" wide on a
bias. (+/-45 degrees) Brush a very thin layer of resin
in the slot you've created, and lay/brush in the strip
of cloth. Once it is cured, you won't believe the
increase in torsional integrity.

On slope racers and F3B models, I'll do the same thing
to the TE of the main panel, to tie the skins
together. You can then put some balsa or an epoxy
micro mixture to the LE of your TE to create a wiper.
Shape accordingly. This part takes some practice, but
when you do it right, can be very clean.

Good luck with it,