Excellent question.

In general, Copper wire is fine. It just has to be durable enough. But I'd
advise against using bare wire. This makes incidental contact with anything
remotely conductive a non-issue.

Also, running two wires on top and bottom (or anywhere) is dicey. It could
be done but not reliably without more experience than I have.

Bill Swingle