Ron wrote:

An immediate relaunch will not see him too far behind the others
and may even work to his benefit if the others have launched into sink.
That is simply part of the game we play.
We tend to allow any available winch to be used for a relaunch, not just
the pilots own personal one. If the pilot deems to use their own after
the line has been retrieved and repaired then that is up to the
individual. The pilot also has the option to call for a relaunch
immediately and land within one minute or attempt to fly out the slot if
he/she feels that the air is good enough. Errors in judgement will and
do happen, that too is part of the game.

Ron,
    What you miss is that we are not flying a slot time as in F3J.  We have
clubs here that have flown MOM formats for 20 years, and as technology and such
have improved, this question has raised more of a issue to be addrssed here.
Yes, in a slot time contest the guy who breaks the line is definately taking a
hit, but here,there is not a slot but just a given task and the flier that
relights can make the max with info gained "after the fact".  I agree that the
F3J format has some self penalties that take care of many issues that arise,
but for our circumstances, this is a constant issue.  Use to, when our contests
were smaller, bringing down the group was not really an issue,but now with
25-40 fliers and very long task times (13-15 minutes all day) we hustle to have
as many rounds as we can get in.

Marc