While I agree with the other reply to a point, there
are apparently some pretty high costs associated with
their field maintenance. Having had to be a big part
of the administration of an RC soaring club, and a
real soaring club, I can appreciate their reluctance
to allow participation without membership. It is very
frustrating trying to keep club participation at a
maintainable level. If you were talking about a
full-scale club, their contests are held by members
and by those that become members for the time they are
competing. That's about liability, more than anything.
A hundred bucks a year sounds a bit steep, but I've no
clue about their financial state, or what it costs to
lease/cut a field, so I can't judge that one. We are
fortunate to be allowed to fly off a large grass farm
in S. E. Houston and we don't have to pay anything. We
can keep our dues at a very reasonable $30.00 per year
that way. If the club in question has to tax each
member $100- per year to keep flying, I don't think
it's unreasonable for them to expect you to join if
you live within a certain radius. The only other
solution would be to double nonmembers entry fees. For
the record, I drive 55 miles to fly RC sailplanes, and
I'm a past-president of the Houston Hawks R/C Soaring
Club.

Jack Womack