I didn't get a heads-up in my e-mail on the aerotow for Champaign-Urbana this
year, did I miss it? Hope not, weather was gorgeous the past week & today,
rain predicted all thru the coming week.

My amazing discovery was  a new flying site near my home. I've been flying
off a scraggly vacant lot only 6 minutes from home, but it's getting crowded
and
this month surveyor stakes started blooming in the field, signaling this is
the last season there.  Drove along a little bit further, found a bigger,
better field with knee-high soft grass to land on. The road sign next to it, I
took
for a sight from Above:

"Happy Landings Drive"

I sierra you not.
Here's hoping it stays vacant for a few seasons at least.

Anyhow, if heading to the JR Aerotow in Central Illinois,  a fun stop for the
family is the  train museum just outside of town, for about 60 bucks, you can
drive the diesel engine yourself, for much less, you take a 15-minute ride
into town on the train's private line, get an ice cream, and ride back. Many
piec
es of rolling stock to see, including the Shedd Aquarium's "nautilus" car, a
Pullman converted to haul live fish to the museum from the gulf coast.

   A really nice museum on the outskirts of Peoria is called 'Wheels Of
time", a little bit of everything, cars, planes, inventions, you can touch
stuff!.

 45 minutes south of Springfield Illinois on route 55 is a huge car
lot/museum where all the exhibits are on sale, I added a ton of pictures to my
antique
hood ornament collection, some really rare stuff there.

Also this year, the new Abe Lincoln Presidential Library & museum opened in
Springfield, and it's every bit as high-tech entertainment as something from
Disney EPCOT or Universal Studios, most impressive stuff. 45 minutes from the
Aerotow site, can't miss it.