Michal,

First and foremost you need to hook up with the great guys of the SOAR Club
there in Chicago.  I am sure someone from that group will be contacting you
anyway.  As for a good rule of thumb on what makes a good thermal day, look for
days that have a large differential between the overnite low temperature and
the forecast high temperature for the day you are planning to go out.  Any day
there is going to be a 20-30 deg differential, you should see some good
activity.  Another good old standby is to look to the sky, if you see the white
puffy cumulus clouds forming, there will be thermals that are generating them.
Lower wind days are better for working the thermals but there can be some
really nice lift out there even on the windiest of days as well.  Hope this
info has been of some help.

See Ya,

Pat McCleave
Wichita, KS