Needless to say, that glider had clearance to go where it did under very controlled circumstances. The problem is that there are people flying in controlled airspace as high as 15,000 feet with no coordination. Of course, we can't get there with our thermal ships for obvious reasons but the AMA has seen the websites for the guys doing that kind of flying and it has them scared. The FAA advisory currently limits us to 400'. Is it enforced - no. Could it be - you bet.

E-mail, call, or write your local AMA guru and (politely) state your case for higher altitudes. We're not the only ones this restriction will hurt. Ever seen a jet do a speed pass and then pull up to slow down? Takes much more than 1000'!

As far as the government's performance is concerned - I think there's a different forum for that......

Happy flying,

Jimmy
www.jtmodels.com