Three or so years ago I traveled from Seattle to Visalia just to
fly in a DLG fun fly on the first evening. I doubt that I will ever
attend another NATS now that they are held so far away from the West
Coast. I remember back when the LSF used to hold West coast contests
in Santa Rosa CA and other locations. We even had a regional LSF contest
in Seattle at the SASS field at 60 Acres South.

I also traveled to Queen Creek Arizona in 200o to get the Old Buzzard's
signature on my Sunbird Wing.

I will probably remain a level 4 LSF (#557) forever unless I get really lucky
in a bunch of bigger than normal West Coast contests.

On the other hand, I have the memories of great West Coast contests in
Vernon BC, Seattle, Salem, Santa Rosa, Richland, Spokane, etc. I remember
the First year that  Col. Thacker entered his Baby Bollis in Scale in
California. I also remember him riding a bike around the pit area and having
at least 4 changes of clothes during the day.

I now live in Port Angeles, WA and have 5 parks I can fly my DLG within 2
miles of my house. No one I know within 30 miles of here even knows what a
DLG is. Well, not exactly, Marc Mech is in the Bellingham area which is
less than that by boat but a really long way by car.

Harley Michaelis, Scobie Puchtler, Phil Pearson, Adam Weston, Tim Johnson,
Sherman Knight, Bill Kuhlman, Dave Beardsley, Russ Young and many others
from Washington State are well known on the Left Coast but do not seem to
find Indiana in the summertime worth the effort.
--
Dick Barker
Port Angeles, WA

In a message dated 8/3/2005 2:24:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

>From people's experience and unbiased opinions?, what would be the best
>organized competitions, meets, or fun flys have they encountered?

Al,