Joseph,

This is an excellent question and one that I have very strong feelings
about, so here goes:

First and foremost, the timer/caller is there for the safety of the
pilot/caller team.  After getting the flyers radio and time card from the CD
the pilot only has to worry about getting the plane to the launch zone and
hook up the tow ring when it's time.  The timer should be watching out for
his pilot making sure he is aware of his surroundings, protecting the pilot
from falling into a hole or tripping on a clump of tall grass or weeds while
leading him to the landing zone.  Protecting the pilot from other people and
planes is another primary task.  I've had a number of times I've either had
to push the pilot out of the way or jump in front of the pilot to protect
him/her from getting speared while in the landing zone.

The timer should know either before the flight starts or at the very start
of the task what type of information the pilot wants and how he wants it.
For relatively short flight tasks, say under 10 minutes, I want my flight
time every minute until the last minute where I want it every 10 second.
Then, at the 30 second mark, I want the timer to read the time directly off
of the watch, i.e. 30, 31, 32 etc.  I will tell the timer at some point
around the 5-10 second mark that I'll call "no time", meaning I want him to
shut up and quit counting because I want to concentrate on the landing.
Knowing what information your pilot wants and how he wants that information
presented is paramount to being a good timer.  I know a number of pilots
that want their time counted down rather than up, meaning they go from say
30, 29, 28 etc.  Regardless of how the pilot wants the time, there is little
reason to count past the target time, since it will equate to jumping up and
down screaming at the pilot telling him he's LATE!  At that point, he
already knows that so you aren't giving him useful information.

Concerning the actual flight, I try to keep my pilot calm and informed of
the air he's NOT in, and what the other planes are doing compared to the air
the pilot is in.  If I'm timing for a very seasoned pilot, I'll usually say
little about "How" he's flying, but concern the discussion to the air
quality of air in areas he can fly too that are within the planes ability.
If I'm timing for a novice or someone who is a bit more 'nervous' I'll
calmly and with a fairly soft tone, tell the pilot to fly smoothly as they
are probably trying to mix a cake with the transmitter sticks.  For all
flyers I give them information in a calm even tone so as to not excite them.

Next, the timer needs to get the pilot to the landing zone with plenty of
time remaining, and then when he is ready to land, I keep him informed of
the time in the manner he wants it, and I watch for other planes to
coordinate the landing zone with other pilots if needed.  With usually 2
minutes left in the flight, I'll check with other flyers timers that look
like they may land within the next 3 minutes to see what order the planes
will be landing in and I'll notify my flyer so he knows what's going to be
happening when he sets up his final approach

There are many contests where multiple landings will occur within 30 seconds
of each other in the same landing zone.  If that's the case, I'm jumping
into the zone as soon as the plane stops moving and either take the
measurement for the landing or mark the spot for later measurement and get
my pilots plane out of the circle for the next person landing.

Now, if my pilot is "in" the contest and he's made his time and needs the
landing points to remain in the contest, and, if the flyer landing before
him didn't make his time and isn't 'in' the contest, I'll ask them to either
abort their landing, choose another landing zone if possible or to get their
plane out of the landing zone as quickly as possible.

With those tasks complete, I'll inform the pilot what his time was, confirm
the landing with the pilot, I'll put the scores on the card and turn in the
transmitter and the time card.

According to AMA regulations, the timer isn't allowed to count down the last
20 seconds of flight, rule 10.2.2e if I remember correctly.  However, I've
never seen a CD enforce that rule and every contest I CD I notify everyone
at the pilots meeting that that rule is waived for that particular contest
contests.

I'm sure there is enough that can be written on this subject to fill
volumes, but the above should cover most of it.  There are many others that
will respond to this question and they will provide additional, excellent
additions to the above.

George Voss