On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Norman E. Timbs, Jr. wrote:

I'd like to hear your opinions on what you think is a good radio system to get for someone just learning to fly. Something to use with basic electric trainers, foamie combat wings, and warbirds.

Always difficult advice to give as it requires being able to see into your future. If you are only ever going to fly electric trainers, combat wings and warbirds, then buy an inexpensive computer radio. If flying more advanced airplanes is in your future, then buy the best, most capable radio you can afford.

I wouldn't buy anything less than a 5 or 6 channel computer radio. A fairly basic electric aileron airplane might use 4 servos and a channel for motor control. A basic 2 meter sailplane might have 6 servos (ailerons, flaps, rudder and elevator). The computer functionality really makes things easier and more flexible.

I've been flying about 6 years now and started with a Hitec 4 channel non-computer radio and grew out of that in about 6 months. Next I bought a Futaba T6XAS (basic 6 channel computer radio) and grew out of that in about a year. Finally I bought a Futaba 8UAFS after about a year and a half after I started flying and even though the 8U has been superceded by the 9C in the Futaba line, I am still working on using all of its capabilities. If I had been a little more prescient I could have jumped right to the 8U, but I was worried (wrongly as it turned out) about spending too much money on too fancy a radio. I think the decision is a little easier now as the capability of inexpensive computer radios has increased somewhat, but its not easy to give a good answer.