Arguments are good.  That's where the truth comes out from having to prove a
point one way or another.

We need to do simulation too, but mostly for clothing or tapestries.  The hard
part for us is getting the motion to look natural and meaningful, but also loop
seamlessly over a short duration and blend with other actions doing the same.

Example:

Our main avatar has over 700 unique actions (walk, run, jump, roll left, roll
right, die, etc...).  The longest action I can find is about 200 frames long
and the average case about 45-60 frames (animating at 30 fps).   If a piece of
cloth is animated, it needs to start and end in the same position for all
actions that move that cloth because any action can transition into almost any
other action at runtime.  The hard part is finding cloth poses that look
natural and flow nicely in those transitions while being able to loop without
looking stupid.  Another difficult part is getting the cloth to animate
correctly because all the avatar performs his actions in place a the world
origin on a pedastal.  He doesn't travel around as seen in the runtime
environment.  So far we've been doing it all manually via keying the envelope
deformers.

Matt