Joel,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.  I tried the JSON
Facet API for one query that uses facet.method=enum (since this one has a
ton of unique values and performed better with enum) but this was way
slower than even the slower Solr 5 times.  I did not try the new API with
the non-enum queries though so I will give that a go.  It looks like Solr
5.5.1 also has a facet.method=uif which will be interesting to try.

If these do not prove helpful, it looks like I will need to wait for
SOLR-8096 to be resolved before upgrading.

Thanks also for your comment on top_fc for the CollapsingQParser.  I use
collapse/expand for some queries but traditional grouping for others due to
performance.  It will be interesting to see if those grouping queries
perform better now using CollapsingQParser with top_fc.