An update in case someone stumbles upon this...

At first I thought you mean the fields I intend to do leading wildcard
searches on needed to have ReversedWildcardFilterFactory on them.  But that
didn't make sense because our prod app isn't using that at all.

But our prod app does have the "text_rev" still in it from the example
schema we copied over and used as our template.  One of the things we've
done in dev is clean that out and try to get down to what we are using. So I
tossed the text_rev back into the schema.xml, didn't actually use that field
type for any fields, and now I can do leading wildcard searches again.

I'm going to guess that is what you meant, that the very presence of the
filter in the schema, whether it is used or not, allows you to do wildcard
searches.

Is that documented anywhere and I just missed it?  I'm sure it is.