Unity: Mayom commissioner accused of involvement in cattle raid attack
Article
Comments (123)
email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation
facebook
myspace
twitter
buzzyahoo
June 3, 2013 (KAMPALA) - Mayom county commissioner John Bol Mayak has
dismissed claims of masterminding an attack by youths in South Sudan’s
Warrap state.
His comments come after Gongrial East commissioner Akot Lual Akot
accused Mayak of failing to respond to his phonecalls when a group of
cattle raiders attacked his county in neighbouring Warrap state.
At least 33 people, mainly children and the elderly, died in the
deadly attack on 31 May, in what is the worst single incident in the
region since the start of the year.
“How can I refuse to answer his call mean while we are tasked to do
duties which are for the same government?” Mayak told Sudan Tribune in
an interview on Monday.
He urged Akot to act in the best interests of the country, rather than
simply serving his own tribal interests.
“I’m appointed to serve government of [the] Republic of South Sudan,
but not only for my tribe line [of] interest”, he said.
Mayak also accused his counterpart in Warrap state of failing to
return stolen cows to Unity state, adding that since he took up office
in January, he has returned raided cattle on three separate occasions
to owners in Warrap.
He blamed authorities in Warrap state of failing to adequately
implement the government’s procedures to deter cross-border cattle
raids, saying more than 40 people have been killed and hundreds of
cows stolen in connection with raids between March and May, with none
of the stolen cattle so far returned to
their rightful owners in Unity state’s Mayom county.
Cross-border cattle raids have become rampant between the Mayom and
Gongrial East communities, with local residents caught in a cycle of
violence and revenge killings over cattle theft, grazing land and
water rights.
ABIEMNON COUNTY TARGETED
Meanwhile, officials from Mayom county have confirmed that an unknown
number of armed youths attacked neighbouring Abiemnom county on Sunday
morning.
Mayak confirmed county authorities had recovered the stolen cattle on
the same day, but did not specify the number of cattle raided in the
attack.
He also confirmed that seven people had died in the clashes on Sunday,
while area officials put the death toll at eight.
Sunday’s attack marks the second deadly internal attempt at raiding
within Unity state’s territorial boundaries.
Mayak conceded the deadly clashes in Abiemnom were reason for concern.
Two weeks ago, eight policemen were allegedly murdered by youths in
Unity state’s Koch county.
Mayak has been a vocal supporter for grassroots disarmament in Warrap,
Lake and Unity states, where a high amount of illegal arms wind up in
the hands of the civilian population.
Abiemnom commissioner Arop Turuk said the youths which launched the
attack on Sunday in his territory were wearing military uniforms and
were heavily armed.
Turuk alleged youths suspected to come from Mayom county raided and
drove away thousands of cattle during the attack, which occurred about
3.15am on Sunday.
The commissioner said local youths who tried to follow the attackers
came under heavy gunfire, forcing them to retreat.
Meanwhile, Mayak has called for the governments of the three
neighbouring states to immediately intervene, saying an impartial
approach was needed to combat the ongoing issue of cattle raiding in
the region.
(ST)
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14oq%2BrGhRL75pOsou0rtoRzZjM0vX51UKJ%3DY%2BrqRX6vrY%3Dg%40mail.gmail.com?hl=en-US.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.