Uganda welcomes Kony surrender but will not protect him from ICC

   - Article <http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article48887#tabs-1>
   - Comments (2) <http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article48887#tabs-2>

[image: email] 
Email<http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?iframe&page=enviar_email_articulo&id_article=48887>
[image: print] 
Print<http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?iframe&page=imprimable&id_article=48887>
[image: 
pdf]Save<http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?page=spipdf&spipdf=spipdf_article&id_article=48887&nom_fichier=article_48887>
[image: separation]
[image: increase] <http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article48887#>
[image: decrease] <http://www.sudantribune.com/spip.php?article48887#>
[image: separation]
[image: separation]
------------------------------

November 21, 2013 (KAMPALA) - Uganda’s military on Thursday welcomed
reports of negotiations on possible surrender of the leader of the rebel
Lords Resistance Army (LRA), but cautioned it will not be able to protect
him from prosecution by the International Criminal court (ICC).

Media reports have quoted officials from Central Africa Republic (CAR) as
saying they are in contact with the LRA leader who, they say, is in bad
health and wants assurance over his security after surrendering.

The *AFP* news agency quoted CAR President, Michel Djotodia saying that his
government was in negotiations with Kony. "Joseph Kony wants to come out of
the bush. We are negotiating with him."

Kony and his senior commanders were indicted by The Hague based ICC in
2005. He is accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity.

In an interview with *Sudan Tribune* on Thursday, the deputy spokesperson
of the Uganda’s military, Robert Ngabirona said they welcome reports of the
notorious rebel leaders’ surrender.

"We welcome him back home. We have an open amnesty for the LRA and indeed
some LRA fighters who abandoned rebellion have been educated, rehabilitated
and integrated in the Uganda Peoples Defence Forces(UPDF)", said Ngabirano.

The army spokesman, however, added that if the LRA leader surrenders he
will not be protected from prosecution by the ICC.

"Kony is wanted by the ICC. If he surrenders, well and good. We welcome him
but the ICC will have to pick on from there."

The military spokesman however said Uganda had not yet received any
official communication from CAR on the negotiations it is having with the
LRA.

*LOCALS, AMERICANS SKEPTICAL*

In northern Uganda where for 20 years, the LRA wrecked havoc displacing
nearly two million people from their homes at the peak of the conflict,
news of Kony’s reported plan to surrender has been received with scepticism

"Kony will not surrender,’’ said Sam Lawino, a journalist who extensively
covered the conflict in northern Uganda before the LRA was flushed out of
the country in 2006.

"Kony fears the ICC. I don’t think he will surrender with the ICC there. It
could just be a new tactic by the LRA", said Lawino.

"I will be surprised if Kony surrenders. I doubt he will,’’ said a resident
of Gulu town who did not want to be named. Gulu was at the epicentre of the
conflict in the region.

Talks between the LRA and the Ugandan government ended inconclusively in
the South Sudan capital of Juba, with the key sticking point being the ICC
indictments which the LRA leadership wanted dropped. The Ugandan government
said, as it is saying now, that it does not have the powers to drop the ICC
charges.

News of LRA surrender has also been received with scepticism in Washington.
An American official stated that some LRA rebels had been in contact with
the government in CAR but Kony was not among them.

"At this time, we have little reason to believe that Joseph Kony is part of
this group,” the state department official said.

The US has a $5 million bounty on Kony’s head.

*INVISIBLE CHILDREN CAUTION*

The American advocacy group, Invisible Children, which has been at the
forefront of the highlighting the atrocities of the LRA in northern Uganda
and in the Great Lakes region cautioned on Thursday that Kony could be
playing an old trick.

"Any report that Kony may want to negotiate a surrender should
automatically be met with caution. None of our local sources have
substantiated the claims that there is a direct communication with Kony",
said the chief executive of the charity, Been Keesey, in a blog post,
adding “Additionally, Kony has used and abused the call for peace talks
many time ... usually at moments when his power is the weakest”.

On Wednesday this week, Invisible Children presented a petition to the
Ugandan parliament signed by over 3,500 community members affected by the
LRA conflict in four countries in the Great Lakes region. The petition
called on the international community and regional governments to do more
to bring the conflict to an end.

*UGANDAN ARMY AWAITS ORDERS*

The fight against the LRA rebels by armies in the Great Lakes region
stalled after Seleka rebels who took over power in CAR in March this year
ordered foreign troops to leave its territory.

But Uganda’s deputy army spokesman, Robert Ngabirano, said the Ugandan army
is still in CAR, but only at designated assembly points and with
instructions not to hunt for the LRA.

"We have soldiers at assembly points but not fighting. We are waiting for
orders from our commander-in-chief and the African Union (AU)", said
Ngabirano.

About 3,000 AU troops, with assistance of 100 military advisers sent by US
president Barrack Obama, were fighting the LRA until they were ordered to
leave the country by the new government in CAR.

(ST)

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14oqxg1eVdNa_9P1uJv8n4Y2TEjtSpPD3CA9G%3De9Lg0xnkA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to