South Sudan ‘Hopeful’ On Talks With Rebels

*JUBA, 08 January 2014 *- South Sudan government delegation head on peace
talks has expressed optimism over ongoing peace talks with rebels loyal to
former Vice President Dr. Riek Machar in the Ethiopian Capital, Addis
Ababa, saying there is “hope.”



Nhial Deng Nhial, the Head of the South Sudan government negotiation team
arrived home from Addis Ababa on Monday for consultations with President
Salva Kiir following the start of face to face talks with the rebels in its
first day on Monday.


“We are hopeful,” Nhial told journalists in Juba on Tuesday shortly after
meeting Kiir.
“So there is an intense process that is going on aimed at arriving and
speedily as possible to cessation of hostilities,” he said.


“Initially, there is a hiccup that threatens to scuttle the negotiation but
fortunately the problem was resolved. The other side basically insisted
that they cannot talk unless they see that the detainees are set free,”
Nhial said.


Three Chief mediators from; Sudan, Ethiopia and Kenya on behalf of the
Inter-governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) brokering the talks also
arrived on Monday to Juba to meet Kiir for consultations.


Release of detainees before the talks get to peak and commitment to other
issues including cessation of hostilities remained key demand of the rebels.


Though South Sudan government said the detainees, accused of masterminding
a coup on 15 last month, can only be released in accordance with the laws
of South Sudan.



*Source: Gurtong trust*



Only legal procedures, will determine the release of political detainees,
says Kiir

*JUBA, 07 January 2013 *– South Sudan Government will not release political
detainees, as demanded by the rebel representatives in the on-going talks
taking place in the Ethiopia capital Addis Ababa but can do so “only after
legal procedures” have been exhausted, President Salva Kiir Mayardit said.



The first face-to-face talks between the Government and the rebel’s
representatives started yesterday [Monday] after days of separately
deliberating on the ground rules of the talks aimed at ending the three
weeks of violence.






*Presidents Bashir and Kiir in a joint press confress at State House [J1]
in Juba *[Photo: Matata Safi]



“We said in the beginning we are committed to dialogue, but without
preconditions, nobody should give us conditions. We still remain committed
to that principle. We are now been given conditions that we release
political detainees first before talks could go ahead. This is a condition
that I will not accept, if it a matter of releasing the detainees, we have
to follow legal measures, the legal procedures will have to be followed
according to the constitution” President Kiir reaffirmed.



President Kiir while stressing accountability said “We have lost more than
100 lives, ……and if such a number of people have died, property has either
been destroyed or looted; we want to know who is responsible to all these
loses. It is not just a matter of releasing people who have been the cause
of all this destruction, they will be released but not as a precondition
for talks”.



At least 1, 000 lives have been lost and 200,000 people displaced following
a “foiled coup” attempt in mid December last year. Following the coup
attempted, the Government arrested more than ten individuals and accused
the former Vice President Dr. Reik Machar who has decleared war against the
Government of plotting the "failed coup".



Rebel forces are still engaging the Government forces, the Sudan People’s
Liberation Army (SPLA) in the two states of Jonglei and Unity despite calls
for a ceasefire. The East African regional Bloc- Inter-Government Authority
on Development [IGAD] is taking the lead in the mediations.



President Kiir made the remarks on Monday while meeting the Sudanese
President Omar Hassan El Bashir in Juba. President Bashir called for an
immediate end to the fighting and urged the two parties to take the IGAD
peace initiative to end the crisis.



“Violence can not solve anything, we fought among ourselves for 21 years
and lastly we had to go to the negotiation table to resolve our difference”
President Bashir said while referring to Sudan’s long civil war that ended
in the Independence of South Sudan in July 2011. President Bashir
reiterated his support to a peaceful solution in ending the currently
crisis in South Sudan.


*Reported by Matata Safi.*

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14orf3EcmnyGsxbjYy84U3PM4DhY7CauyiMF6LKi44O73oA%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Reply via email to