العربيةEnglishHomeNewsBroadcastsFrequenciesAboutMembershipNewsletterDonatePodcasts

Over 5,000 displaced from Bieth State reach Duk County

BOR (2 Mar.)

The Commissioner of Duk County, Peter Latjor Chuol, said that more than
5,000 people, who were displaced from their homes in neighbouring Bieth
State, arrived in Duk County.

Speaking to Radio Tamazuj on Wednesday, March 1, Chuol said the displaced,
who arrived at the Duk County headquarters, are in urgent need of food and
water.

Chuol came to Bor to brief Jonglei State Governor, Philip Aguer, and
humanitarian organisations about the dire situation in his county,
appealing for support.“My people in the county are hungry. The recent
fighting in Bieth State has displaced about 5,625 people and they are now
in my county making the situation worse,” Chuol said.

The commissioner is concerned that the number arriving in his county would
increase in the coming days, saying it is only a five hours walk. He added
that the situation could turn into a “disaster” if no humanitarian
assistance arrives before the rainy season starts.

Last month, government forces and rebels loyal to former First Vice
President, Riek Machar, clashed in Yuai, Bieth State.“Heavy fighting has
taken place in Upper Nile and Jonglei, and on February 20, more than 30
humanitarian workers were relocated from Yuai following clashes between the
Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA) and the SPLA-in Opposition
(SPLA-IO),” a UNICEF South Sudan Humanitarian Situation Report from
February 28, states.

On February 20, a famine was officially declared in parts of Unity State.
Approximately 100,000 people are currently facing starvation, with an
additional one million close to famin

-- 
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/southsudankob
View this message at 
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/southsudankob/topic-id/message-id
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/SouthSudanKob/CAJb14opO2mZaXH-85Hrc_7QCnWOUhjxVykou2_MFbZeZC0PeBw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to