Hi All,

Hoping someone a little more experienced (than myself) in Linux patching can
answer this one please:

When thinking about which channels to set up to patch Oracle Linux machines, I
see base, patch and latest. Definitions of these are defined here:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/E37355/html/ol_channels_uln.html

I'd like to control what major and minor versions the systems are at. So for
example, keep all systems at Oracle Linux 6.5 (UEK 3.8) however receive all the
bug/security fixes relevant for this release.

I had thought a reaonsable way to patch would be to clone the base and patch
channels as at a date, and then apply those cloned channels to my list of
servers. However, what would be the difference between doing this and just
cloning the latest channel and applying it? Any advantages to doing this, or
should I stick with cloning base and patch?

Thanks