OpenID Colleagues,

I (and a few other people) are rather confused about the current state of
Attribute Exchange, and the default namespace URIs.  Which of the following
will be the correct namespace root for the future?

http://schema.openid.net/
http://openid.net/schema/
http://axschema.org/

- MyOpenID supports http://schema.openid.net/

- The "Attribute Properties for OpenID Attribute Exchange" spec at
http://openid.net/specs calls out http://openid.net/schema/.  I don't know
if there are any OPs that implement this version.

- axschema.org calls out http://axschema.org/

They are all functionally equivalent, but it's up to the OpenID Provider to
decide which to implement.  As a result, the Relying Party has to guess
which providers are implementing which namespace roots.  Since the default
behavior is to simply ignore the AX request if the namespace is not
recognized, we cannot tell the difference between an OpenID Provider that
doesn't support AX, and one that simply doesn't support the requested
namespace.

In researching, I found the original request to use http://schema.openid.net,
which appeared to happen summer of 2007. Since http://axschema.org/ and
http://openid.net/schema came out after that, I'm assuming that it should no
longer be relevant.  However, MyOpenID implements this namespace, so I can't
say for sure if that's really the case.

That still leaves us with three namespace roots.  Can anyone tell me which
one is now considered the standard implementation, so I don't have to build
three Attribute Exchange schema definition sets into my codebase?

Thank you,

John Ehn
extremeswank.com