three people have replied to this user and nobody has referenced the
documented (as well as FAQ'ed) feature specifically built to deal with
this ?!  sorry im so cranky...but man you guys have to help me a
little more :)

use pool_recycle=<some number of seconds less than 8 hours> on your
create_engine().