On 5/14/07, Michael Bayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> id love if this issue were reported on the Distutils mailing list
> (though im pretty sure theres a flag in setuptools to disable the egg
> generation upon setup which might be the solution here)...  since I'd
> really like a lot more people to be there hammering setuptools into
> proper shape (even if that includes just "documentation" of options
> like these).

>From http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#command-line-options

=====
Command-Line Options

--zip-ok, -z
    Install all packages as zip files, even if they are marked as
unsafe for running as a zipfile. This can be useful when EasyInstall's
analysis of a non-setuptools package is too conservative, but keep in
mind that the package may not work correctly. (Changed in 0.5a9;
previously this option was required in order for zipped installation
to happen at all.)

--always-unzip, -Z

    Don't install any packages as zip files, even if the packages are
marked as safe for running as a zipfile. This can be useful if a
package does something unsafe, but not in a way that EasyInstall can
easily detect. EasyInstall's default analysis is currently very
conservative, however, so you should only use this option if you've
had problems with a particular package, and after reporting the
problem to the package's maintainer and to the EasyInstall
maintainers.

    (Note: the -z/-Z options only affect the installation of
newly-built or downloaded packages that are not already installed in
the target directory; if you want to convert an existing installed
version from zipped to unzipped or vice versa, you'll need to delete
the existing version first, and re-run EasyInstall.)
=====

So, the proper solution is to delete the easy_install-ed sqlalchemy
egg (if there's any) from the site-packages dir and then run:

easy_install -Z SQLAlchemy

or

easy_install -Z -U SQLAlchemy

Alternatively, one can edit setup.py and add the zip_safe argument to
the setup function, like:

setup(
    # ...
    zip_safe = False
    # ...
)

in order to always unzip the easy_install-ed egg.

Currently, SQLAlchemy's setup(...) hasn't set this arg, meaning that
setuptools uses its own algorithm to determine if SQLAlchemy can be
installed as a zipped egg.

See:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#setting-the-zip-safe-flag

IMO the setuptools docs are very good.