On Friday 27 July 2007 02:45:12 jason kirtland wrote:
> So there you have it.  I'm not married to this proposal by *any*
> means. The ideas gelled in my brain during the SQLAlchemy tutorial
> at OSCON, and this seems like the last opportunity to deeply
> question and reconsider what we have before a new generation of
> users takes on SQLAlchemy.
>
> -j

> Engines would be DataSources, and MetaData would be Catalogs.
i'm trying to clarify the meanings of these, lets do semantical
analysis of sorts.

 - Datasource:
what is an sqlachemy's engine?
>jason> "What database is that bound to?"
to me engine mostly meant "the driver that does it".

so yes, it's not engine really. But datasource is way to general. Are
u going http? although... And it's not readonly - so it's not
just "source", source implies "pulling" and never pushing. How about
db_driver? data_driver? just driver? or something around it...

 - Catalog:
what is a sqlalchemy's metadata?
>jason> "a catalog of tables available in the database."
to me it holds everything about the "subset of database structure",
used in the app.

as i have seen, sql-wise the term is metadata. going away from sql? To
me it is important. sure, it is not The Metadata of the server.
Why not just Table_collection? And, is it _just_ table collection, or
there's more to it? Catalog... of what? make it TableCatalog then, or
just TableSet? elements are uniq and not ordered...
what about DBSchema/Schema/TableSchema - it does match one schema, or
no? can u have one metadata over tables from 2+ schemas?

Anyway it may depend which audience are u targeting with these names -
those who never seen an API or those for which names are important
only to associate them with a library/version/use-case... both
extremes are equaly uninteresting imo.

i'm not "opposing for the sake of it", i just throw other
view-points/ideas..
maybe "catalog" is closer hit than "datasource". And, the names should
automaticaly associate to _what_ they really are - datasource talks
about data (and not about database) and source (readonly), catalog
doesnot talk about tables either.

so my picks would be something like DataBaseDriver/DataDriver and
TableSet - or TableCatalog. To me these represent better the meanign
of them notions, and are not twofold/ambigious.

ciao
svil